Summer’s come again, and our attention has turned to the school holidays. We are pleased to announce we’ll be holding our usual week of bushcraft activities at YHA Danywenallt in Talybont, during the first week of August (Monday 1st-Friday 5th) this year. There will be the usual mix of bushcraft sessions, including shelter building, firelighting, pioneering, tracking and exploring, foraging, and backwoods cooking, plus teambuilding games and generally having fun outdoors.
Sessions will run from 2-5pm each day. Entry is £5/session (discounts for multiple bookings), and the target age 7-11. Everyone welcome! It is essential that you phone 01874 676677 to book your child’s place. We always ask that adults either stay on site, or within easy reach please. The activity will go on in most weathers: participants need to be prepared, and be ready to come home potentially smoky, dirty and a little bit worn out! Every day will include some form of foraging for wild food, team building games, and may involve a camp fire.
- Day 1 will be an exploration of the area around the hostel, with geocaching, foraging, and various challenges as we go.
- Day 2 is practising bushcraft building, using little more than sticks and string. We’ll make bridges, and build useful gadgets for your campsite.
- Day 3 will be a firelighting session, learning to light a fire successfully and safely, without matches. We will then cook something simple.
- Day 4 is a shelter building session, using a combination of found materials and old tent parts.
- Day 5 is party time! We’ll have a campfire going, cooking something a bit special, playing some games and generally having a good time.